Sunday, November 7, 2010

Appreciative Inquiry to Peak Performance

As we work through the coaching journey, I realize how important it is to make connections with people. As the coach /coachee makes connections they are able to work through a process together that can help to reach their goals at a deeper level. As you develop those relationships as a coach, you learn about strengths that the coachee has and are able to build upon the strengths to support them to get to their peak performance.

Dewitt Jones, a brilliant photographer with National Geographic made a film called “Celebrate What is Right with the World”. Through this video, he had the ability to use perspective to show the strength within an image. This can transfer to coaching as well when you build on the strengths of professionals you work with and give them the capacity for continued growth. (Soar to Your Potential, 2010)

This weekend I was fortunate to have made many connections with a great group of people. As we worked through situations, both as being the coach and coachee this quote resonated with the whole weekend “Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you will help them to become what they are capable of being.” (Goethe)

In what ways have you been impacted by someone who believed you were capable of more then you ever dreamed possible?

5 comments:

  1. I think that this coaching role has been all about people believing in me. I did not know how much I would love working with fellow colleagues and helping them on their journey of learning.

    As well, I have seen it with my students. I have taught many children who had challenges to overcome and needed someone to believe in them. I love watching children bloom when given the opportunity and when they know you believe in their abilities to accomplish what they think is impossible. That is the most powerful feeling in the world and it is really true that as a teacher we do touch the future. That is why this job is so amazing and fantastic. How lucky we are to be able to shape and influence the future. Who else has that happening each and everyday we work with those phenomenal young people in our classrooms?

    Great quote by Goethe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reflecting back on my inner coach conversation this past weekend, I realize that in fact the reason my sister is my inner coach is simply because she believes in me. She believes in the best parts of me and sees me as such. She challenges me to go beyond where I am at in the moment and move to a place where that improved self lies. She encourages me to "Live life with more satisfaction than regret."- Judy Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In what ways have you been impacted by someone who believed you were capable of more then you ever dreamed possible?

    It is pretty amazing to me, really, how much power there is when someone believes in you, especially when you are filled with doubts. I think if an individual has the slightest hope in something and then someone believes in them, miracles can happen and dreams come true.

    Pretty powerful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The power of positive thinking is immense. Something like the story of "The Little Engine that Could".

    It is really encouraging to see teachers opening up their craft of teaching and going deeper into what it means to be a learner both as a student, a teacher and a coach.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that what you are speaking about is building that leadership capacity at all levels, from student to teacher to colleagues. That impact will be felt by all.

    ReplyDelete