Sunday, March 11, 2012

Apples and Oranges




I always wondered about the saying "apples and oranges" and wondered where it came from and why someone would use it. The urban dictionary terms it as "Something which is both the same and different simultaneously depending on your point of view." (Urban Dictionary,2012) I found this very interesting and thought about it from many points of view.
We often hear the phrase, "putting a square peg into a round hole", something I have recently heard at our divisional Educational Symposium in a comparison of the traditional education system and our students of today. When I think about the students in my class, I think about the ways they have made me grow as an educator. I have always viewed each student as having their own strengths and uniqueness that makes them who they are. This year we have been focusing on some project based learning tasks which have allowed students to explore and represent their learning in ways that allow them to shine. Whether it is a song, poster, interview, sculpture, role play or a hands on creation, students focus on the big ideas in their own ways and the learning has been incredible.
When I think of my own teaching and my colleagues, the following quote really fits when thinking of apples and oranges, "The richness of leadership is found in community, not isolation. Cultivate a team that shares your values but looks at things different from you." (Leadership Freak, 2012) We do not all think or teach the same but have a common goal - "What is best for the students that we teach?" The world would be a very boring place if we were all alike but there are teaching practices that join us all together to be the best we can be.

1 comment:

  1. How true that the process of collaboration forces us to reflect and ponder on the differences that we bring to the table...wondering what it could look like. The muddle puddle is a great.place to.be in because sooner or later we squirt out of one side sliding precariously along.a.path we have never been but all the while improving.our knowledge and skill along the way. If it doesn't work out at least we know which.path not to.take again. I stole the term "muddle puddle" from.Brian Celli

    ReplyDelete